Saturday, June 21, 2014

Food For Thought

I signed on with Weight Watchers last month.  When I've done it properly, I've lost over 70 lbs in the past. When I've not done it properly, I've just paid a lot of money to feel guilty.  I'm trying to do it properly this time.  So far, I'm down 12 lbs.  (Two rounds of steroids plus a hormone war in my body has slowed it down a bit, but down 12 is down 12.  Only about 300 to go.)  I qualify for bariatric surgery given my physical limitations, but I don't think I want it.  So I'll Take Two of these.
While we're at it, how about the FDA in their boundless wisdom stop allowing crap like this in our food supply?  And how about stopping all that GMO business?  And why in the name of all that is holy is High Fructose Corn Syrup still permitted to be used in our food supply?

Look.  I can't afford to buy all organic, though I would like to.  I like McDonalds sometimes and I like Coca Cola and Mac&Cheese from the blue box and M&Ms and all that stuff. But the truth is terrifying and you can't un-ring a bell and now that I know all this - -well.

I've switched to organic iced tea from Diet Pepsi.  We buy organic pretzels and lemonade mix which, while less than healthy, is at least not so much a chemical science project as the diet stuff we were drinking before.  The bread has no HFCS in it, nor does the yogurt.  I'm trying.  And hoping the little steps in the right direction will have a big impact later.

If you aren't furious that the USDA / FDA are content to use you and your children as guinea pigs with little regard for the long term health of either of you, I'm not sure you clicked on or read through those links.

Listen to Robyn.  Girlfriend knows her stuff.

 

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the 12 pounds down. That's awesome!

    So well aware of the HFCS and GMO, not to mention red dye, which resulted in a hell beast before I removed it from my son's diet.

    ReplyDelete